UBC Blogs is a Wordpress-powered website platform used by instructors and students, individually or collaboratively, to create content in the form of a course website, group blog, peer review space, or personal portfolio or blog. Some key features include:
- CWL security
- Canvas integration
- Easy to use, interactive interface with various themes and styling options
- Google and UBC Blogs analytics
- Ability to embed media and content from CLAS, UBC Wiki or YouTube
A new UBC blog can be directly created through Canvas. Students can access your blog through the side navigation menu of your Canvas course site. They will automatically gain Author access which will allow them to create and edit their own posts.
- Access your Canvas course site.
- Click Settings on the course menu.
- Select the Navigation tab.
- Drag the UBC Blogs item from the bottom section of the page to the top section.
- Click Save.
- Access your blog through the side navigation menu and start adding content and modifying your website using the official documentation.
Integrating UBC Blogs into Canvas modules will let your students view your Blog from within the Canvas course. It requires two actions:
Action 1: Generate an LTI integration token in your UBC Blog
- Access your UBC blog’s dashboard through blogs.ubc.ca.
- Click Plugins from the left navigation menu.
- Find and Activate the LTI Connector Token tool.
- Refresh the page.
- Select LTI Token located under the Tools menu on the left navigation menu.
- Copy the LTI Connection Token.
Action 2: Create an External Tool item in a Canvas Module
- Go to Modules in your Canvas course site.
- Click on the [+] button on the module where you need to create a link to UBC Blog.
- Select External Tool from the Add drop-down menu.
- Find and select UBC Blogs from the following menu.
- Add to the URL in the following format, removing the square brackets and replacing the content in the brackets as outlined below:
https://blogs.ubc.ca/?custom_wplticonnectortoken=[LTI CONNECTOR TOKEN]&custom_existingurlpath=[NAME OF BLOG]&custom_blogtype=ubcBlogsTypeStudentSubscriber
- LTI CONNECTOR TOKEN (copied in Action 1)
- NAME OF BLOG (as displayed at the end of your blog’s URL; e.g., https://blogs.ubc.ca/Test_Blog)
- The modified URL will look similar to the following:
- Click Add Item.
NOTE: The custom URL created above will automatically assign Subscriber access to your students, which allows them to access the site (if it’s private) but doesn’t allow them to post content. If you would like to assign them Author access, in which they are able to write and edit (only) their own posts, remove &custom_blogtype=ubcBlogsTypeStudentSubscriber from the end of the URL.