Canvas has been selected as UBC's new learning technology environment (LTE), which will eventually replace Connect (Blackboard). On this page, Skylight's LT team will keep you posted on the transition schedule, professional development opportunities, and other important information about the transition.
In the 2016/17 academic year, UBC’s central LTE renewal project team conducted a comprehensive consultative process to identify the requirements of UBC’s next learning technology environment to better support teaching and learning activities. The project was driven by the vision and principles stated in the LTEP report, and the team’s work resulted in the selection of Canvas as the platform to replace Connect (Blackboard) at UBC. Skylight's LT team developed a transition plan for Science courses that are currently in Connect. The plan was informed by input and feedback from our stakeholders, including faculty members, department heads and directors, leadership at the Science Dean’s Office, departments’ internal IT and LT support teams, and UBC IT and CTLT leadership.
Course transition timeline
The Faculty of Science is using a staged approach for the transition, starting with a small number of courses (~50) for September 2017, and then gradually migrating the rest of the courses between January 2018 and September 2018.
The initial set of courses was chosen in consultation with department heads and faculty members, and based on the following selection criteria:
- Whether the course is a single-section course
- The complexity of the integrations used in the course (e.g. Piazza, Kaltura, LOCR)
- The complexity of the learning objects used in the course
Professional development opportunities
Documentation resources to support faculty in their adoption of Canvas:
Skylight's LT team and CTLT are partnering to offer hands-on workshops that are specifically tailored to the needs of Science faculty. All Science-specific workshops will take place in the Earth Sciences Building (ESB) (rooms listed below). Registration for the following workshops in September is now open:
We have added workshops in October, November, and December. If you would like to attend any of the following workshops, please register here.
- Tue October 3 (10:00am-11:30am) – ESB 5106
- Thu October 5 (10:00am-11:30am) – ESB 5106
- Tue October 10 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5106
- Wed October 11 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5106
- Tue October 17 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5106
- Wed October 18 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5108
- Tue October 24 (2:00pm-3:30pm) – ESB 5104
- Wed October 25 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5106
- Tue October 31 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5106
- Wed November 1 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5106
- Tue November 7 (9:30am-11:00am) – ESB 5106
- Wed November 8 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5106
- Tue November 14 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5106
- Wed November 15 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5108
- Tue November 21 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5106
- Wed November 22 (2:00pm-3:30pm) – ESB 5106
- Tue November 28 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5106
- Wed November 29 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5106
- Tue December 5 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5106
- Wed December 6 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5106
- Tue December 12 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5106
- Wed December 13 (11:00am-12:30pm) – ESB 5106
- There are additional CTLT workshops for general audiences that may be of interest to Science faculty. Visit CTLT's Canvas workshops site to learn more about and register for these workshops.
We will keep you informed as other additional workshops and professional development materials are made available. We will be emailing you information about these opportunities as part of our regular monthly updates. This information will also be published on this page.
Support for Science faculty
Skylight's LT team is working in close collaboration with departmental support teams and is partnering with the campus-wide support unit LT Hub (CTLT & UBC IT) to provide comprehensive support for our Science faculty in their transition to Canvas.
For any LTE support matters, please direct your request to LT.email@example.com. This may include, but is not limited to, support for the following:
- Creation of Canvas sandbox for your course
- Course shell creation and enrollment
- Course cleaning
- Course moving
- Course modifying
- Course editing
- Course quality assurance