Canvas has been selected as UBC's new learning technology environment (LTE), which will eventually replace Connect (Blackboard). On this page, Skylight's LT team will keep you posted on the transition schedule, professional development opportunities, and other important information about the transition.
Documentation and resources to support faculty in their adoption of Canvas
- Canvas Instructor Guide
- Canvas FastTrack Series
- Canvas community resources
- Supplemental Canvas FAQs
- Challenges and Issues
In the 2016/17 academic year, UBC’s central LTE renewal project team conducted a comprehensive consultative process to identify the requirements of UBC’s next learning technology environment to better support teaching and learning activities. The project was driven by the vision and principles stated in the LTEP report, and the team’s work resulted in the selection of Canvas as the platform to replace Connect (Blackboard) at UBC. Skylight's LT team developed a transition plan for Science courses that are currently in Connect. The plan was informed by input and feedback from our stakeholders, including faculty members, department heads and directors, leadership at the Science Dean’s Office, departments’ internal IT and LT support teams, and UBC IT and CTLT leadership.
Course transition timeline
The Faculty of Science is using a staged approach for the transition, starting with a small number of courses (~50) for September 2017, and then gradually migrating the rest of the courses between January 2018 and September 2018.
The initial set of courses was chosen in consultation with department heads and faculty members, and based on the following selection criteria:
- Whether the course is a single-section course
- The complexity of the integrations used in the course (e.g. Piazza, Kaltura, LOCR)
- The complexity of the learning objects used in the course
Professional development opportunities
- Skylight's LT team and CTLT are partnering to offer hands-on workshops that are specifically tailored to the needs of Science faculty. All Science-specific workshops will take place in the Earth Sciences Building (ESB) (rooms listed below). Registration for workshops in 2018 is now open. If you would like to attend any of the following workshops, please register here.
- April 19th, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, ESB 4009
- April 26th, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, ESB 4009
- May 3rd, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, ESB 4009
- May 10th, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, ESB 4009
- May 17th, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, ESB 4009
- May 24th, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, ESB 4009
- June 7th, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, ESB 4009
- June 14th, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, ESB 4009
- June 21st, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, ESB 4009
- June 28th, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, ESB 4009
- July 5th, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, ESB 4009
- July 12th, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, ESB 4009
- July 19th, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, ESB 4009
- July 26th, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, ESB 4009
- There are additional CTLT workshops for general audiences that may be of interest to Science faculty. Visit CTLT's Canvas workshops site to learn more about and register for these workshops.
We will keep you informed as other additional workshops and professional development materials are made available. We will be emailing you information about these opportunities as part of our regular monthly updates. This information will also be published on this page.
Support for Science faculty
Skylight's LT team is working in close collaboration with departmental support teams and is partnering with the campus-wide support unit LT Hub (CTLT & UBC IT) to provide comprehensive support for our Science faculty in their transition to Canvas.
For any LTE support matters, please direct your request to LT.email@example.com. This may include, but is not limited to, support for the following:
- Creation of Canvas sandbox for your course
- Course shell creation and enrollment
- Course cleaning
- Course moving
- Course modifying
- Course editing
- Course quality assurance