In 2014, the Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences (EOAS) and Physics and Astronomy (PHAS) departments received a generous donation from the Harris family to pilot paired teaching as part of the Carl Wieman Science Education Initiative (CWSEI). Six Science Teaching and Learning Fellows (STLFs) were hired to support faculty pairs.
Between 2014 and 2018, 27 instructors taught 18 courses to over 2,500 students in the pilot program, and research was disseminated through scholarly publications (Stang et al., 2017 and Holland et al., 2018). The success of the program led to its full implementation in UBC Science, supported by the Dean and department heads. In 2018, paired teaching became part of the package offered to new faculty in all UBC Science departments.
Teaching Startup Pairs
- STAT 300 Marie Auger-Methe and Melissa Lee
- BIOL 306 Sean Michaletz and Mary O'Connor
- BIOL 433 Liang Song and Ljerka Kunst and George Haugn
- PHYS 158 Ke Zou and Marcel Franz
- ENVR 410 Amanda Jiang and Terre Satterfield