Gradescope is an online grading system that allows instructors to grade paper-based or code-based assignments. Instructors can add detailed feedback while marking assignments and then send the graded assignments back to students online. Gradescope allows students to quickly receive their work and view their instructors’ comments, so they can improve for their future assignments.
- Photos of student work can be submitted to Gradescope (after converting the photos to PDFs)
- Answer Groups & AI-assisted Grading features form groups of similar student answers, allowing for quick, efficient grading
- Grade analytics feature that shows student results for each assignment question
- Any rubric changes made to an assignment are automatically applied to assignments that were already graded
- Built-in fail-safe to avoid accidental overwriting of grades when multiple graders work in parallel
UBC offers support for Gradescope, however funding for the service is granted on a per-Faculty basis. Instructors wishing to use Gradescope should first check with their respective departments to determine if funding is available. Once they have received this confirmation, instructors can submit a request to integrate Gradescope into their Canvas course(s). Please refer to the following section, “Getting Started”.
For instructors and students using Gradescope for the first time, Gradescope provides detailed documentation on getting started.
Please complete the Learning Tool Setup Request Form for Gradescope, and include the following information in the Additional Details section of the form:
- The course name(s), course number(s), and section number(s)
- Which term(s) the course(s) is offered
You will be notified via email once setup is complete.
After you received confirmation that a Gradescope course has been created, you will then need to add the Gradescope link to your course:
- Within your Canvas course, click on Settings
- Click on the Navigation tab.
- Click on the three dots beside Gradescope and select enable
- Click Save. You should now see a link called Gradescope added to your course navigation.
- Click on the Gradescope link to go to your Gradescope course.
Students will need to click on the Gradescope link within Canvas to be automatically enrolled in the respective Gradescope course
Information on setting up Gradescope and grading your assessment(s) can be found on the Gradescope Help page.