WeBWorK is an online assessment platform that integrates with Canvas and is used primarily used in mathematics and science. Students can access practice problems and assignments anywhere, and instructors can limit the number of attempts for each problem. By completing problems at their own pace and receiving instant feedback each time, students are empowered to practice and understand new concepts and learning goals.
Some key features are:
- Display of complex mathematical notations and formulas (LaTeX)
- Automatic grading to provide students with instant feedback
- Randomly generated numbers and functions within problems to prevent students from sharing answers
- Instructors can authour their own problems or choose from thousands of problems in the National Problem Library
Instructors will need to create their WeBWorK course from within Canvas at the start of each term, using the process described below.
- Log into canvas.ubc.ca and access your Canvas course site.
- Select Assignments.
- Press the + Assignment button.
- Enter the assignment name, such as ‘WeBWorK Link’.
- Scroll down to Submission Type.
- Select External Tool from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Find button and select WeBWorK.
- If you skip this step and manually enter a URL without using the Find function, WeBWorK will not sync with Canvas.
- Select Load in a new tab.
- If you skip this step, WeBWorK will not sync correctly with Canvas.
- Click Select.
- Click Save & Publish.
- Click on Load [Assignment Name] in a new window.
Once a general link has been created in Canvas, instructors and students will be able to access WeBWorK via this link.
NOTE: Creating a general WeBWorK link in Canvas will provide students with an entry point to the WeBWorK course, but it will not automatically sync the assignment grades to the Canvas Gradebook. Students must access WeBWorK via the Canvas link in order for their membership to sync with the WeBWorK course.
For more information on WeBWorK, please visit the Science WeBWorK Wiki or use the links below to learn how to:
- Sync grades from WeBWorK to Canvas
- Grant TAs/other colleagues access to your WeBWorK course
- Assign problem sets to students
- Download grades from WeBWorK
- Import Canvas course sections into WeBWorK
- Import assignments from term-to-term
- Require credentials for grading proctored quiz
- Submit drafts on behalf of students for grading