UBC Science provides funding of up to $100,000 a year for academic equipment that supports teaching and learning. Funding will be allocated through an annual competition announced in February each year.
The next Academic Equipment Fund deadline will be announced in fall 2017.
- Proposals must demonstrate how the teaching and learning goals of a department / unit will benefit from the equipment purchase.
- Proposals are welcome for small and large equipment purchases. There is no maximum amount per application (up to the $100,000 allocated each year).
- Consumables and operational costs are not eligible for funding; past purchases are not eligible for retroactive funding.
- Matching funds are required.
- Funding requests must include a completed application form and quotes from three vendors for purchases >$3500.
- Approval of the head or director of your home department or program is required.
- The Academic Equipment Fund competition will be adjudicated by the Science Centre for Learning and Teaching (Skylight) and members of the Faculty of Science Office of the Dean.
- After obtaining all signatures, your application can be scanned and submitted by noon on the due date.
Equipment purchases must comply with UBC purchasing policies and procedures. Briefly,
- For purchases up to $3,500, please use a PCard or manual Q requisition.
- For equipment purchases between $3,500 and $50,000 a purchase order is required.
- For equipment purchases above $50,000, a purchase order creation follows competitive tendering requirements.
Departments are responsible for managing the purchase and coordinating the delivery of equipment. Departments are also responsible for any cost overruns.
For any questions, please contact Eric Jandciu firstname.lastname@example.org.