UBC Science provides funding of up to $100,000 a year for academic equipment that supports teaching and learning. Funding will be allocated through an annual competition.
The 2021 Academic Equipment Fund competition is now open. All applications must be received no later than Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 12:00pm (noon).
- Proposals must demonstrate how the teaching and learning goals of a department / unit will benefit from the equipment purchase.
- Proposals are welcome for small and large equipment purchases. There is no maximum amount per application (up to the $100,000 allocated each year).
- Consumables and operational costs are not eligible for funding; past purchases are not eligible for retroactive funding.
- Matching funds are required.
- Funding requests must include a completed application form and quotes from three vendors for purchases >$3,500.
- Proposals must be signed and ranked by the head or director of your home department or unit. Please consult with your department or unit for internal deadlines.
- After all proposals are signed and ranked, the application package should be scanned and submitted by the home department or unit no later than noon on the due date to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Academic Equipment Fund competition will be adjudicated by the Science Centre for Learning and Teaching (Skylight) and members of the Faculty of Science Office of the Dean.
Equipment purchases must comply with UBC purchasing policies and procedures. Briefly,
- For purchases up to $3,500, please use a PCard or manual Q requisition.
- For equipment purchases between $3,500 and $50,000, a purchase order is required.
- For equipment purchases above $50,000, a purchase order creation follows competitive tendering requirements.
Departments are responsible for managing the purchase and coordinating the delivery of equipment. Departments are also responsible for any cost overruns.
For any other questions, please contact Gülnur Birol at email@example.com.