LockDown Browser is a special web browser that prevents students from navigating away from Canvas and accessing other applications while taking an online quiz. Quizzes requiring LockDown Browser cannot be accessed or completed with any other browser.
Should you decide to use Respondus LockDown Browser for a quiz in your course, you are required to have certain quiz settings enabled to ensure that its use is compliant with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). To do this, follow the Required step under Step 6 in the “Requiring LockDown Browser in a quiz” section.
- Access your Canvas course site.
- Click Settings on the course menu.
- Select the Navigation tab.
- Drag the LockDown Browser item from the bottom section of the page to the top section to enable it.
- Click Save.
Note: Students MUST download from the link provided by Canvas or from this LockDown Browser download link when trying to access a LockDown Browser quiz from a standard browser, as the software is customized to UBC.
- In the Course Navigation sidebar, select LockDown Browser.
- A list of all quizzes in your course will be shown. Click the menu item on the left next to the quiz in which you would like to enable LockDown Browser.
- Click on Settings.
- Toggle "Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam".
- Optional: Select Require LockDown Browser to view feedback and results (quiz grades and comments are still visible to students within the Grades tab).
- Optional: create an Access Code that you will provide to students. They will need to enter the code to be able to begin the quiz.
Required: To ensure that student information is protected according to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), click Advanced Settings and ensure "Lock students into the browser until exam is completed" is checked. Students will not be able to close the browser and leave the quiz before submitting their answers.
- Confirm your changes by clicking Save + Close.