The Science Centre for Learning and Teaching Development Fund was created in 2002 to support learning and teaching projects across the Faculty of Science. Since their inception, grants totalling over $765,000 have been awarded to over 200 projects.
The Summer 2018 competition is now closed. Next year's application deadlines are March 26, 2019 (Spring 2019 competition) and June 18, 2019 (Summer 2019 competition).
Skylight Development Grants provide matching funds for projects that by their scale, scope and/or focus are unlikely to receive TLEF funding, but would provide significant benefit to undergraduate or graduate teaching and learning. Grant applications bridging projects to the next TLEF competition are also considered.
- There are two competitions – in spring (March) and summer (June) – with up to $25,000 available in each competition.
- The maximum grant from Skylight per proposal is $5,000.
- A matching funds commitment, of equal or greater value, from your home department or program is required. Matching funds may not be in-kind contributions.
- In your project description, please explain the need and the potential impact and benefit to teaching and learning in the Faculty of Science and the number of students (and/or faculty) impacted. Please also indicate how you plan to evaluate the project, the timelines of the proposed work and how it will be sustained beyond the lifetime of the grant.
- Skylight encourages student-initiated grant proposals. However, all proposals must be developed in consultation with a faculty or staff member from the Faculty of Science, who must be listed as the principal applicant or co-applicant.
- Approval of the head or director of your home department or program is required.
- Applications are evaluated by a small committee with members drawn from Skylight, the Dean’s Office, and SUS.
- Successful applicants are asked to provide a one-page report on their project 12 months following receipt of the grant.
Budget information and instructions
- The TLEF website has a useful list of current pay rates for common positions (see the Cost Estimates section at the bottom of the page).
- Please provide as much detail as possible in your budget items.
- e.g.: UTA: $14.90/h x 6 h/week x 13 weeks = $1162.20.
- Equipment requests may be funded if there is a pedagogical need clearly identified in the proposal and no other source of funding exists. A maximum Skylight contribution of $3,500 per competition can be used to fund equipment.
- Equipment that can be funded: computer peripherals such as audio/video equipment, some lab equipment.
- Equipment that cannot be funded: computers, printers, monitors, lab consumables (glassware, reagents, etc.), supplies.
For questions about the budget, or any other aspect of your Skylight Development Grant application, please don’t hesitate to contact Gülnur Birol at firstname.lastname@example.org. For general inquiries, contact us at email@example.com.
Successful Applications from Past Competitions